Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day, or, Romance During a Recession

With the recession and ongoing cutbacks in our personal lives, I thought Valentine's Day would pass with nothing more than a verbal acknowledgement between DH and me. The kids were another concern! Try to ignore any holiday that involves candy, and we'll have an open revolt on our hands. So I was surprised and pleased when Walter (such a bland name for a true hero) gave each kid a toy, a heart box of candy, and bag of chocolate hearts. They squealed with delight - literally. My little boy has a high-pitched scream that can be picked up by satellites. Walter presented me with my favorite (and his!) Lindt truffles and 2 cards! I had neglected to buy him or the kids anything, and I'm so glad he remembered. Gone may be the days of expensive roses and dining out, but the sentiment is the most important part. I remembered later that we became engaged on Valentine's Day, 14 years ago. So much worrying and scrimping here and there almost made me forget the true meaning of these commercial holidays. A love note from my favorite valentine is more precious than diamonds.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful~!
    I love it.
    hehe Picked up by satellites, that is too funny!

    ReplyDelete